Here’s a festive Marian treat for your summertime celebrations! Refreshing & bright, Stella Maris Soda is a delicious way to enjoy the flavors of the season while also incorporating symbols of Our Lady.
Since lemons – representing fidelity – have long been associated with Mary, we made lemon syrup from fresh-squeezed lemons. Add a little carbonated water, and voila – lemon soda! (You could add still-water instead of fizzy to make lemonade!)
We wandered the rows of flower & herb beds to find another Marian flavor to add – borage flowers were the perfect addition. These beautiful star-shaped flowers, symbolizing courage and humility, range in color from magenta to violet to blue. Also associated with Mary, they call to mind her ancient title of Stella Maris – Star of the Sea. Their light cucumber flavor complements the lemon soda, and they add beautiful pops of color!
Stella Maris Soda
Bright, refreshing lemon soda garnished with borage flowers
- 1 cup water
- 2 & 2/3 cups sugar
- Lemon zest from 3 lemons
- 2 cups freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Carbonated water
- Borage flowers
- Boil the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves, stirring to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan
- Remove from heat and add lemon zest
- Once completely cool, stir in lemon juice
- Refrigerate syrup and make the soda once it’s completely chilled. Then, fill a 12-oz glass halfway with ice and add 1/4 cup lemon syrup. Fill the rest of the glass with carbonated water and give a gentle stir. Garnish with borage flowers!